Monday, April 07, 2008

'The Griffin' ~~ 'El grifo'
Woodcut ~~ 2008 ~~ Grabado en madera
Edition/Edicion: 40
Size/Tamano: 5"x6.5" ~~ 12.5 cm x 16.5 cm
Ink/Tinta: Oil-based relief ~~ Oleo para relieve


This print was my entry in a recent 2008 international solstice print exchange, the theme being mythology. It's done with burnt umber ink on white rice paper and then dry gold pigment brushed small areas. This was applied right after pulling the print so the dry gold powder adhered nicely to the tacky ink.

Available here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Este grabado fue mi contribucion a un intercambio internacional de grabados del solsticio, el tema siendo mitologia. Fue hecho con una tinta umber bien oscuro en papel (arroz) blanco y entonces puse en ciertas partes un pigmento de oro en polvo con un pincel. Lo aplique inmediatamente despues de sacar el grabado para que el polvo adhere bien a la tinta viscosa.

De venta aqui.


4 comments:

Annie B said...

Oooh, I never tried that gold powder thing. Looks good. I like this griffin's feet.

Ellen Shipley said...

I really like the griffin's feet too. Very dynamic.

Terry Sargent Peart said...

Diane,
I received this print in the exchange, and was very impressed (I voted for it!) I love the image, and your craftsmanship really shows thru in the carving details and the inking.
I'm very pleased to own one of these prints. Thank yoU!

Diane Cutter said...

Thanks! I like the feet, too. Ironically my husband thought my griffin was not ferocious enough but I'd stay away from those claws any day.

DRB... I'd been busy making art but just didn't seem to have blog-time. It feels good to be sharing again.

Terry... Thanks! The Baren Summit was really instrumental in making me think of new ways to deal with relief printmaking. I had never done wood and I am constantly amazed that I can finally get the detail I've wanted but couldn't from linocuts. Thanks to the Summit and all the wonderful woodcut artists there.