Friday, May 05, 2006



Tricks in the name of paper conservation...
There are times when a linocut just doesn't take all the ink, leaving little white patches. In order to salvage a print, I use a color shaper to move the ink into those little areas that didn't take. This print was missing ink on the upper right edge. (You can also cut the eraser end of a pencil into a point and use that.) While it may be unorthodox, throwing out the print would make me feel worse because of the paper waste. ['Not-a-harlequin', linocut, 3.25"x3.25"]

Trucos en nombre de la conservacion de papel... Hay ocasiones en que un linocut no quiere tomar toda la tinta, dejando areas pequenitas en blanco. Para salvar un grabado, uso un dicho 'color shaper' para mover la tinta a las areas pequenas donde no hay tinta. En ese grabado faltaba tinta en la esquina arriba al derecho. (Tambien se puede cortar a un punto la goma de un lapiz y usar esa.) A pesar de que es un metodo un poco suspecto, la opcion de botarlo me haria sentir peor por el gasto de papel. ['Not-a-harlequin', linocut, 3.25"x3.25"]

4 comments:

Hugo Sleestak said...

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). Wonderful idea. I've had some of the same problems with lino using water based ink. I know it's because of the oil-and-cork composition of the linoleum, but I haven't always known what to do about it. You're right, I hate wasting paper too, and even if "moving" or just outright daubing with an extra touch of ink may not make as "pure" a print, it makes me feel better than trying to tell the tree that its life was wasted because of the dumb linoleum.

Diane Cutter said...

We'll have to start a 'save a tree printmakers' group... By the way, I love visiting your blog and seeing your great work...

Cynthia said...

Wow, Diane, this makes me want to get out my linoleum and carving tools. Your prints are amazing! I haven't printed since college since I have no press and haven't tried a baren. I'm visiting from WC.

Diane Cutter said...

Thanks, Cynthia... I love working with lino. I keep meaning to try woodcuts but the lino romance continues strong. What attracts me the most is the stark positive/negative images and paring down those images to the basics...